Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Analyzing a Painting



     After looking at this painting in depth and trying to observe, infer, and interpret, I now look at it in a completely different way.  Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh is a world famous and astoundingly beautiful painting. When I first saw this painting, I absolutely loved it, though I didn't think much about a deeper meaning or thought behind it. Then after I took note of little details, and tried inferring things about the painting, I came up with the conclusion that I think this painting is about the calmness and happiness that Vincent Van Gogh finds in the nighttime. 
     I think that Starry Night is about how he can find beauty and light in something otherwise dark and dull like the night. For example, even thought it's night time he adds in bright yellow swirls and accents, which brightens up the whole scene. Instead of painting a completely black background, he has a beautiful shade of dark blue, mixed in with a whole palette of soft, light, and pretty colors. I think the fact that he demonstrates night in a bright and colorful way shows that he is making this painting out of happiness, and that he has positivity in mind. Also, Vincent Van Gogh made the rest of the setting mostly little quaint and cute houses. I think this is showing happiness because the painting shows a sense of community, and how even though it's dark and dull out, there are still people in the town, and there's still things going on in this town even though the day is over. I think this says that it may be getting darker, but the town, and the people, and the mood aren't.
     I think one reason why Starry Night is so popular is because it really appeals to every different audience, and I think pretty much anyone can relate and connect to it. No one likes the feeling of darkness and things coming to and end, and Starry Night makes you feel like things never really have to come to and end. When I look at Starry Night it makes me feel calm and just a feeling of happiness, and I think that same feeling will come across so many other people. I think this picture is really a universally loved picture, and everyone can relate to it and enjoy looking at it and studying it. Starry Night is an absolutely amazing painting, and there's so much beautiful meaning behind it. 


4 comments:

  1. I agree with you in saying that I have seen this painting so much and to see what you observed and inferred about it really changed the way i see it. I used to just see a painting and now i see that Van Gogh found a happiness that most people wouldn't and he displays it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first looked at this piece of artwork I looked at it in the same way as you, but now that I have read your blog post I can connect now to both the piece and your writing. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogpost really changed the way that I view this piece of art. It must have been hard to respond to something so famous, but you did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this painting too!!! I was going to do this one too, but I liked Frida Kahlo's painting better. I really loved this painting because of the night sky which is my favorite scene of the day. Van Gogh makes everything so PEACEFUL!!! I agree with everything you said, no wonder this painting is famous.

    ReplyDelete