Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Every Little Thing

    I've only read the first chapter of the book Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen, but already I'm getting a great understanding of the main character, Ruby. Ruby has had so many hardships in her life before, and she has had so little pleasures in her life, if any. In this book, I've been noticing that every little good thing that happens to her she acts like it was a great miracle. Ruby has had so little her whole childhood, and she definitely deserves to have some little luxuries in life.
    Ruby truly appreciates everything good that happens in her life. For example, when Ruby moved into a new house with her mom, it wasn't the greatest house. It was small, isolated, and empty. But Ruby pleasured the fact that that she didn't have to hear her neighbors through the wall everyday, because she was now living in the country. She was just glad she was living in a house, rather than a run-down apartment complex. Most people see living in a house as a normal thing. You come home everyday, you can have quiet and you can enjoy yourself, but that's it. Although, Ruby thought of it as much more. Another example of this occurs when she moves in to her new permanent house with her sister and brother-in-law. They were showing her her new room, and she was so surprised and overjoyed that she actually had one big room all to herself. Most people today would be excited that they were getting a new room, of course. Yet, the way Ruby acted, you would think she had just one a million bucks. She was so delighted that she finally had a place all to herself. Her own room was possibly that best thing that ever happened to her.
     I think Ruby is so appreciative of everything, because she has had nothing in her past. She's always lived in a small house, which she had to share with her mother. She's always had to do all the work and take on all the responsibilities. She wasn't used to anything good happening to her, so now whenever something good does happen, she treats it as something excellent. I think this would probably be true in most people's cases, if they were in Ruby's situation, but I admire how truly amazed at and thankful for the nice things that come her way. I think it shows how she's a good person, and she's selfless and unmaterialistic. Although Ruby has had it so much harder than I have, I know what it's like to sometimes just treasure the small pleasures in life. I think in being thankful for every single good thing that happens to you, you will be able to even more grateful for the huge great things that happen to you. I also admire the fact that after Ruby has been through so much, she can still not be selfish and be happy when she has the right to be.
     Overall, I really don't very much about the book, or Ruby yet, but I can already tell how grateful she is for just the smallest things in life. And she definitely has the right to be, with all the terrible things that have come her way before. Ruby knows how to care for the important things in life, and treasure the greatest things.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment