At the moment, I am in the middle of reading Post Secret: A Book of Secrets by Frank warren. The book is a collection of secrets that people have sent in to be published anonymously in this book. There are hundreds of unique and compelling secrets on this book, but on that really stood out to me was "sometimes I put quarters in people's meters if they're out of time." There are a lot of other secrets like this in the book, all handpicked my by the author. I think the author is trying to show you that every good deed is worth it, even it does go unnoticed.
Throughout the book, I am noticing that Frank Warren is purposely picking secrets that show people doing good deeds that aren't necessarily noticed. Which makes the secrets so much nicer. I think it's really uplifiting to read about all these people who are doing these small but great deeds, just out of the kindness of their hearts. I think it was a really good, purposeful choice that the author chose to make when writing this book. Not only are you enticed and interested by this secrets, but it's just plain nice to know that there are people out their that just do good deeds because they want to. Personally, I like doing good deeds because I like feeling like I'm doing something right or helping someone out. But I do admit to wanting people to know I did that good deed. That's not what good deeds should be about though. They should purely be about doing something good for the community. And I think Frank Warren did a great job of making us think about that, with his deliberate writing choices.
In conclusion, the whole idea for this book is so unique and engrossing, but the actual messages and choices behind the content is quite meaningful and important. I think Frank Warren is truly talented, if he can take a bunch of secrets and make them into a book that really makes you think about yourself, and the people around you. I love the author, and I absolutely this book.
I LOVE POST SECRET!!
ReplyDeleteSorry about that, but I do.
Anyways, I agree with you, but I feel like there is a bit of contradiction in this post. I completely understand that it is great that he is publishing secrets that wouldn't usually be published, but don't you think it is a little bit cruel? In a way, he publishes secrets that would sell and that are interesting and different. At the same time though, him judging it that way, he is turning down secrets that mean the world to some people.