Recently, I finished the book Clean by Amy Reed, an absolutely fantastic book about a drug abuse rehab center. The book follows 5 different characters' stories, which made it super enticing and drew you in. In the past I have read books about this topic and other similar topics, but never one I've loved as much as this book. I think what made this book so fascinating was the level of thoughts and feelings that all the characters had. It was almost as if you were living their life and experiencing their life. Another thing that made me love this book so much was that not only was it a fabulous story, but it also gave you a lot of information and I was really able to learn a lot from it.
After reading this book I felt so connected to all the characters, no matter what gender or situation. The author told the story through all the characters' thoughts and feelings which made it a more engrossing story. For example, when Kelly first arrived at the rehab center, her parents and instructors and doctors made it seem like a wonderful experience that would completely turn her life around. But then you hear what Kelly thinks. Kelly thinks to herself, "it's like I'm an alien from outer space and they're trying to mold me into a normal person. But I don't want to be shaped into someone I'm not." Once I heard Kelly's perspective on things it made me connect with her more, and realize what it would feel like to be in that situation. To be thrown into a whole new place where they're trying to change and fix you. Another example was when there was parents night at the hospital and Jason's mom was talking about how he's a terrible kid and the worst son ever. From just hearing her talk I felt so sad and it definitely made me feel bad for Jason, but then we heard what Jason was actually feeling. He was so ridiculously hurt inside. To hear his own mother say such terrible things about him. And, he knew he was a bad kid. He knew everything he did was wrong and he wished he could've changed it all. Now after hearing that, I felt so much worse. It made me feel so horrible for him, and it made me think about myself ever having to be in that situation. I think I would just be completely broken down and miserable if that had happened to me. The way the author went into detail about how the characters were actually feeling made it an all around more interesting story.
Another thing that made the story so much better was how much I learned from it. The author gave a lot of background information on rehab centers, drug abuse, and different substances. Once I had more background research on the topic, it was much easier to understand and follow. For example, each character had a different drug of choice (d.o.c), and it explained a lot about the characters. For example, Kelly is kind of crazy, outgoing, and blunt. Then the author explains that she does cocaine, and more about the drug. This way you are able to learn more about the character as a person, and about where all of their unique personalities come from. When I've read other books, for example Crank by Ellen Hopkins, I read a story about a drug abuser, but I don't know much about the drug. The way that the author really got the reader to learn new things made the book even better than it already was.
Overall, Clean was a magnificent book and I would recommend it to anyone. The author made the book engrossing and different than other stories by giving true insight from all the characters, and giving you a thorough understanding of the issues and topics in this book. Clean was by far one of my favorite books ever.
I often have a hard time finding good books that deal with drug-abuse, so I will definitely check that one out. Often the characters have the same stories and the same reasons for doing drugs, although it's a bit more complex than most authors make it seem in real life. I completely agree with you about how important it is to be able to follow along with a book. No matter how great a book is, one might not be able to really understand the content of it if they can't keep up.
ReplyDelete