I just finished reading the very interesting article Hug a Hoodie: What the U.K. Teaches Us About Making a Sweatshirt a Symbol. The article talks about the shooting of Trayvon Martin, and how his hooded sweatshirt could have possibly been the cause of his death. The article discusses how the United Kingdom thinks of the hoodie as a symbol for a hoodlum, who is up to no good. Then it goes on to talking about how in America, people are using the hoodie now to show their hatred for racial profilers.
Throughout the article, the author doesn't really have a clear standpoint on the issue at hand. Although, at the end of the article he/she says that clothing may be a factor of racial profiling, but that's not really what it's about. In the beginning of the article, the author is supporting what America has done to show their perspective about racial profiling. People all across America have spoken out and showed their respect for Trayvon, and the author does express that this is a good thing, (thankfully). Then he/she talks about the U.K.'s opinions, but he/she doesn't say anything about their views on it, there's absolutely no bias.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to blame an innocent young boy's death on a piece of outerwear. For anyone to say that he could've prevented his killing by not wearing the hoodie is absolutely ridiculous. The only way this death could have been prevented was if George Zimmerman decided not to racially profile. I really respect and appreciate that so many people are seeing this, and are doing whatever the can, and I just wish all law and government officials would see the same thing. I completely think Zimmerman should be put in jail. In one part of the article they talk about Geraldo Rivera telling latin and black families to not send their kids out with a hoodie on. I hate the fact that this is what someone might do to try to keep their child safe, is that really what the world has come to? However, I don't think this statement should've gotten so much hate. Yes, it is clearly a controversial quote, but he's just trying to tell people that if that's what you have to do to keep your kid safe, then do it. I think the whole occurrence is absolutely horrific, and I hope that people can come to their senses and put Zimmerman in jail.
Great job! I agree with you. I think the hoodie represents racial profiling. Although a hoodie may be associated with suspicion and trouble, that doesn't mean people should automatically make assumptions. The guard assumed Martin was suspicious, partially because of his hoodie, and killed him. This is extreme and a terrible thing to do.
ReplyDelete